More and more of our compatriots are going to work in Poland. According to the Ministry of Family, Labor and Social Policy in Poland, more than a million of our compatriots work here, and according to unofficial data this figure reaches even two million. Statistics show that 95% of all foreign workers in Poland are Ukrainians. They work in every 10 Polish companies, and every 5 Ukrainians work in agriculture.

Poland attracts our compatriots relatively better than in Ukraine, salary, proximity to Ukraine and a large number of vacancies for those who want to get a job here.

However, despite all the advantages of working in Poland, among Ukrainians is widespread and a lot of myths that often frighten and become a good reason to abandon the idea of working in a neighboring country. We collected 8 of the most common myths among Ukrainians about work in Poland and tried to refute them.

myths about working in Poland

Myth Number 1


This common myth is among many Ukrainians who firmly believe that Polish employers do not want to pay Ukrainian workers the same salary as their compatriots. The myth is based on the fact that it is profitable for Poles to hire Ukrainians in fact because it is a “cheap labor” and to pay such workers can be less.

low pay

In fact, in accordance with Polish law, in order to hire a foreign worker, an employer is obliged to offer a foreigner the same salary that he offers to Poles in a similar position.

At the same time, a foreigner’s salary should be no less than a fixed minimum wage in Poland. A salary below the minimum wage is considered a violation of workers’ rights. Due to the failure to pay the minimum rate to the employee, the employer may face a fine of between 1 and 30,000 zlotys. Compliance with these requirements is monitored by the National Labour Inspectorate in Poland.

Myth No 2


There are several types of visas to Poland that can be opened depending on the purpose of your trip. For example, shopping visa, tourist, guest, student, etc. are common. In addition, in 2017, Ukraine introduced a visa-free regime, which in most cases eliminates the need to open a visa to travel to another country in Europe, including Poland.

Many people believe that if they have already received any visa to Poland and crossed the border, they will be able to find a job in this country and get a job there. However, in reality, legal employment in Poland is possible only if you have a suitable work visa.

For employment purposes, you can obtain a Polish national work visa, which allows you to stay 6 or 9 months in Poland for a year or a short-term Schengen visa for 3 months.

Polish work visa

Myth No 3


An invitation to work is a mandatory document on the basis of which a work visa is opened and with which they cross the border into Poland. It is issued by the employer, who must register in the Polish city of the Statement of Intent to employ a foreigner (o’wiadczenie o zamiarze powierzenia pracy cudzoziemcowi).

The myth that an invitation to work in Poland is paid, was born as a result of the experience of those people who have already faced the search for work in Poland and fell to unscrupulous employers or untested job search agencies, which actually charged Ukrainians for such an invitation.

paid invitation to work in Poland

In fact, for foreigners, an invitation from the employer is absolutely free, while the employer itself has to pay 30 zlotys in order to register an application of intention to entrust the work to a foreigner.

Myth number 4 


This myth was also born through the bitter experience of some of our compatriots who worked in Poland faced unscrupulous employers who delayed wages, paid less than the claimed amount, or simply encountered such extremely unpleasant situations like fraud, robbery, etc. in Poland and did not know where to ask for help.

scammers in Poland

However, in fact, for foreigners working in Poland legally, there are many institutions that are willing to help and provide free advice in case of any problems.

First of all, as a citizen of Ukraine, you can apply to any Ukrainian consulate in Poland. If it is a robbery, bodily harm, etc., you should also contact the Polish police and they will be obliged to help you.

If the employer is concerned with the employer’s violation of your employment rights, non-compliance with the employment contract or non-payment of wages, you have every right to file a complaint with the State Labor Inspectorate (Pa’stwowa Inspekcj Pracy), which monitors the compliance with labour laws in Poland.

You can also contact the following organizations for advice on various issues and for help:

Stowarzyszenie Interwencji Prawnej (SIP)

Fundacja Polskie Forum Migracyjne

Fundacja na rzecz R’norodno’ci Spo’ecznej (FRS)

Helsi’ska Fundacja Praw Cz’owieka

  • Address: ul. Zgoda 11, Warszawa
  • Tel: q48 22 556 44 54,
  • 48 22 556 44 686

Mi’dzynarodowa Organizacja do spraw Migracji (IOM)

Uniwersytecka Poradnia Prawna Katolickiego Uniwersytetu Lubelskiego

Centrum Pomocy Prawnej im. Haliny Nie

Centrum Wsparcia Imigrant’w i imigrantek

  • Address: ul. Miszewskiego 17, p. 103, Gda’sk

Biuro Porad Obywatelskich w Gdyni, Stowarzyszenie OVUM

Biuro Porad Obywatelskich

  • Address: ul. Szajnochy 12, Wroc’aw
  • Tel: q48 71 344 84 39

Uniwersytecka Poradnia Prawna

  • Address: ul. Wizienna 10/12, bud. C, pok. 104, Wroc’aw
  • Tel: q48 71 375 20 09

Migrant Info Point, Collegium Chemicum

In addition, the Polish Labor Inspectorate recently opened an information line for Ukrainians working in Poland, where you can apply for advice in Ukrainian by phone:

22 111 35 29 

Myth Number 5 


Belief in such a myth can result in a fine or even imprisonment for you. In fact, it would be a gross mistake to assume that ukrainian citizens are obliged to pay tax only on the territory of Ukraine.

tax in Poland

According to Polish law, all persons living (or those who lived) in Poland and who receive (received) income in Poland for a certain time have tax obligations to this state, which means that they are must pay tax in Poland on the total amount of all income received here, regardless of which state the person is a citizen of.

Usually the employer deducts the so-called advance payments from the employee’s salary every month – deductions to the Polish tax service, the health fund and the like. Actually, these taxes make up the difference between net wages and gross.

  • Gross salary in Poland is the amount of an employee’s salary excluding tax.
  • A net salary in Poland is the amount that an employee receives after deducting all contributions and taxes from gross wages. In fact, net salary is 73% of the gross. The remaining 27% goes to the treasury of Poland

Myth Number 6


Ignorance of the Polish language often stops those wishing to work abroad. However, in fact, today there are more and more vacancies on the Polish labor market for foreigners, where you do not need to master the language at all.

For example, in many factories, construction, work in agriculture, language skills are not required. If you speak a different language, such as English or German, you can find a job in Poland, where you will need to know this particular language (for example, communication with foreign partners of the company, etc.).


You don’t even have to worry about having to sign an employment contract with your employer in Polish, where you may not understand or know about any important points, because according to the requirements, the employer will have to sign an employment contract in Polish. provide you with a copy of the contract translated into language that you understand.

In addition, many firms and corporations pay polish for foreign workers. You can also hire a tutor yourself, so in a short time you will learn and start to easily own Polish.

In addition, it is easy for Ukrainians to learn Polish, as it, like Ukrainian, belongs to the Slavic group of languages and is similar to our native language. Well, being in the Polish-speaking environment, for a certain time you can easily get used to and speak no worse than the Poles themselves.

Myth No 7


Very often people who are thinking about the possibility of going to work in Poland are afraid of the amount of money that will need to be spent on living in Poland. Rent, utility bills, food, transportation – as a result, the costs can be more than a thousand zloty … However, in fact, not everything is so terrible.

Living in Poland

Very often employers provide foreign workers with free transport and additional funds for housing and food. As the statistics show, more than half of Ukrainians (58%) who came to Poland for work, were already provided with housing – in most cases it was the employer who cared about it in advance. Another 34% receive free food and transport to travel to the place of work.

Thanks to this, Ukrainians significantly reduce their living expenses in Poland during earnings. 45% of ukrainian workers surveyed say that they spend between 200 and 500 zlotys per month for their own needs. 16% of respondents considered that their expenses amount to no more than 1,000. zloty sloths per month, and one in five Ukrainians says they can stay in Poland, spending only 200 zlotys a month.

In addition, the prices of most goods in Poland are lower compared to Ukrainian prices, not without reason shopping in Poland is so popular among our compatriots.

Myth Number 8


Today, a student who works in parallel with his studies at work, no one will be surprised. For them it is quite a good practice and an opportunity to earn some money.

There are many students from Ukraine studying in Poland, who are not averse to receiving additional funds for their own needs and at the same time have enough time to study and attend classes, but often they are stopped by the question: whether it is possible to work legally and study in Poland at the same time?

work for students

In fact, yes, it’s quite real. Ukrainians who study at Polish universities and are in the country on the basis of a student visa, can legally work in Poland, but a maximum of only 120 hours per month (up to 4 hours per day). In addition, the opening hours should not coincide with the hours of study, and the person will have to provide the employer with proof confirming his student status. It can be a student card or a certificate from the dean’s department.